Not everyone in the UK has to complete a tax return but if you earn over the threshold or if you are self employed, chances are that you will need to complete a annual return to let HMRC know about your income and any expenses.(UTR helper)

If you are completing a tax return, you’ll need a Unique Tax Payer Reference (UTR) number. Often people mistake this number for their national insurance or CIS number but each of these are in fact distinct. This article will look at how you apply for a UTR number for your tax return.


How to Register For a UTR Number


Registering for a UTR number is not a difficult process and you can apply for one at the same time as changing your status as self employed (if you have not already done so). If you are not self employed you can apply for your UTR number in one of four ways:

1. You can register online at HMRC website

2. You call call your local tax office

3. You can apply in writing

4. You can go to your local tax office and book an appointment.








Registering as Self Employed

As mentioned, if you are registering as self employed you can register for a UTR number as the same time. You should let HMRC know as soon as you are, or planning to beocme self employed so as to avoid a penalty. You can register as self employed by:

1. Apply online.

2. Completing the Form CWF1 - “Becoming self-employed and registering for National Insurance contributions and/or tax”

3. Phoning the Newly Self-Employed Helpline on 0845 9154 515

Let us know if you have any questions in the comments about registering for a UTR number. Remember to apply as early as you can because when it comes around to the tax return deadline, not only will HMRC have backlogs but you don’t want anything delaying your tax return which could result in an additional fine.

© 2023 by

  • Black Facebook Icon
  • Black Twitter Icon
  • Black LinkedIn Icon

Proudly created by